Game Ranger Course

Get a qualification while you experience what living and working on a game reserve is really like.

The Game Ranger Course is an 8 week course that includes the general big 5 wildlife and conservation experience, and lectures, study material, and practical lessons that culminate in the FGASA exam (Field Guide Association of Southern Africa).

Book Now
More Info

If you have a love of nature and the time, then this programme is for you. Now you convert your passion into a pastime, gain experience and have a qualification to match.

Everything you would experience on the big 5 wildlife and conservation experience, as well as:

• Lectures (in the classroom)
• Lectures (in the bush)
• Practical training

This package includes more educational aspects and you will leave with a recognized certificate when you are done.

Scheduled transfers (one to the reserve and one back to PE/ airport – 2 trips in total)

• Orientation on arrival
• Kwantu cap
• Kwantu t-shirt
• Accommodation
• Meals while on the reserve
• Beverages with meals
• Weekend Excursions (transport and accommodation only)
• FGASA Study Material (level 1)
• FGASA Registration (level 1)
• First Aid Level 1
• FGASA Training
• FGASA examination (theory)

While the course is 8 weeks, it can be combined with any other program should participants want to stay longer.

Will I definitely get my qualification?
We will give the participant the necessary training and assistance to pass the exam, but as the exam is externally moderated, we cannot give any guarantees as this is up to the amount of work which the participant puts in

Is the exam/ course difficult?
As it is the intro course, it is not very in depth. While there is some self study required, with a bit of studying and discipline, the participant should have no problem.

Once I pass, am I a fully qualified game ranger (technical term is Field Guide)?
Once the participant writes and passes the exam, they will receive a certificate from FGASA advising that they are a field guide. However, should they want to work, they would need to be registered with the Department of Environmental Affairs and Tourism and would need to undertake a practical assessment in the area that they would like to work as the wildlife and fauna/flora differ from area to area. Once this has been completed, they can then work as a ranger in geographical parts covered by FGASA.

What is the age limit?